Sunday, April 19, 2009

Are Some News Stories Really 'Need to Know News'?

There are many stories that can be found that may be good to know, but we cannot do anything about them. Some stories are not really something we need to know about. Much of this news is just disappointing and does not help us in any way. I learned of a car accident in Texas that killed five kids. Though this story is tragic, what can I do about it? Would I be better off not knowing about such accidents? What do stories like this one do for us? I find these to be depressing and I would rather not hear about them. There are other stories that are told that may be seen as entertainment. One story I found is about a man in Kenya who fought off a snake that attacked him. This kind of story, to me, seems to be a fun fact that you can tell a friend, but nothing more. Are these stories placed on a website to entertain readers in place of magazines or newspapers? I think that there can be sites that have these kind of stories, but they should not be on the same page as news about our country that really matters. News websites, in my opinion, should only have stories that have some significance to the reader. Other fun stories can be found on other pages. When I want to find out what is happening that would have some kind of effect on me or those around me. News posted on a site that everyone looks to for important news should post items that will have an effect on the most people.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with this post completely! Especially with the tragic events that take place in our country every day, economically and as far as the war goes, news reporters need to stick with the news that is affecting everyone. There are much more serious things going on than someone all the way in Kenya fighting off a snake. The news people needs to be much more selective as to what they are distributing to the public. You also make a good point when you say they can put the random facts and other pieces of news that don't affect as many people on different pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't think that some stories should be printed for sake of family issues. Like that car accident, I think that it is very disrespectful to the parents of the kids that died, to print that particular article. As far as those stupid little stories, they should just have their own little section so that they are more easy to skip over if you don't want to pay them any attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the shocking tragic events aren't really need-to-know news. I feel that newspapers and media near the accident should report it, however, so that people that know the victims or the victim's family will hear of the loss. As for the dumb interesting news, I think those are fun to read but are not pertinent information. I think they should be in their own section...like the funnies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree that some stories just shouldn't be told to us because it has no value to us.The tragic stories just make people depressed and sad, but many tragic things happen everyday so why is it only some stories that they post? There are some stories that are out there that make you laugh a little. These stories always bring good entertainment and might make readers day's a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Kyle. It is weird how many news sites will actually post "bad news", because for some reason it actually catches people's attention more than good news. I agree that some stories should just stay off of some sites. For example, I just read an article on a well known news site that discussed a live shark being left on the doorstep of a newspaper. Sometimes, I wonder if there just isn't enough news and people resort to finding the most random stories they can and if so that means that I am not the most boring person in the world. There is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you are talking about Kyle. All the time I hear about these accidents that happen around my city in Texas, and I hear them all the time but I cannot do anything about the accident. I always hear about car accidents somebody shooting somebody else, but that was news that already happens. What I do like that news tells me is the names of who died because it can be someone you know. Good Post.

    ReplyDelete