Thursday, April 9, 2009

Music- Jars of Clay


One of my favorite mediums is music. I listen to so much music during the day that if I didn't have it, life would be too quiet. Music makes us think about certain topics that we may not think about otherwise. One band that I particularly enjoy is Jars of Clay. Their music is very uplifting and the words are very convicting and true. Their songs sing about their faith in Christ, and his work in our lives.
One thing I like about the band is that they live out what they sing about. I think that is very important for a band to do. Jars of Clay is the founder of the Blood:Water Mission, which is a missions work in Africa. They strive to help fund the building of wells to give clean water to those in Africa and to help with their medical needs. HIV/AIDS is a major problem and many are in need of medical help. Taking on such a big project shows that Jars of Clay means what they sing about. In their song Light Gives Heat, they sing about the needs of many in Africa. I think that through their involvement overseas, it makes their music more meaningful. When I hear their songs, I'm reminded of what they stand for and what I stand for. Music is a very powerful tool in communicating our thoughts and beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Kyle. I also enjoy listening to bands who live out what they sing about. However, I am into a little different styles of Christian music. I am into bands like Anberlin, Relient K, and Showbread that might not sound very Christian right away but then you take a deep look into the lyrics and you can tell. I think these bands tend to reach more of our secular friends too. So it is a good ministry.

    ReplyDelete