Sunday, May 3, 2009

What Kind of Movies Do You Watch?


What genre of movies do most people go to see? According to boxoffice, most movies seen by people around the world are rated PG-13. Twenty of the top thirty one movies watched are PG-13. These movies were rated according the gross earnings the movie made. The top two movies of all time according to this list were Titanic and the Dark Knight. Many of the rated G movies had a tough time making the top 50 (only 5 made it). If these numbers are true, this shows that people in general like to go and see movies packed with action and some violence. The list mentioned above only shows the money that was made on these movies, which shows how popular the movie was but not necessarily their thoughts about what they just saw on the screen. To warn people of the content that is contained in these movies, the Motion Picture Association of America designed a rating system.
The ratings on these movies do not tell whether the movies are good or bad, they give guidance to those who may want to see these movies. Many movies on the Box Office list that are PG-13, I would say, are good movies to see, but may not be appropriate for younger children to see. This also does not mean that G rated movies are for kids only, nor Rated R movies for adults only. The ratings allow people to form a general idea of what the movie may contain so that they can form their own judgements. What category do most movies that you view fall under? What limits do you set for yourself when it comes to movies you are willing to watch? Do you consider the ratings before watching?

5 comments:

  1. When looking at the question, "What kind of movies do I like?", I couldn't come up with a real good answer! I think I like every genre of movies, as long as it has a good story line that is able to catch and keep my attention. Something interesting you talked about was movie ratings. I have so many times before looked the other way at movies because they were rated PG or PG-13! I thought they would be dumb and boring because they weren't rated R. I don't do this anymore however because I have found some of the best movies to be rated PG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog interesting and it definitely made me think. One thing that was funny was that I bought a movie the other day at Target that I have never seen. When I got it home i realized it was rated PG and said out loud that if i would have seen that it was rated PG I wouldnt have gotten it. Not becuase I enjoy seeing sexual scenes and violents! But because the lower rankings usually mean that they are made for children and that was not what I was expecting. Even though as Dana said, some of the better movies are rated PG or even G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a big fan of a huge range of movies. I like comedies such as pineapple express with drug usage and strong language, but I still think that movies like Shrek or Ice Age are entertaining. I really don't think that the rating system has any factor on whether the movie will be any good. Some movies wouldnt be the same if they cut out the adult content, but others seem like they throw in some bad language and nudity just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch all sorts of movies from little kid movies to scary rated R ones. I think the rating system is important and then again not so important. I think it should just be used to inform the viewer of the content of the movie and not to limit the viewers. It used to be that if you were under a certain age, you weren't allowed to see an R rated movie. I'm not sure if it is like that still, but I don't think they should tell us what we can and cannot see and it should be up to the parents of the children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ratings to me were more important when I was younger, I don't really think about them so much anymore. I like all kinds of movies though. I mostly decide whether I want to see a movie or not by the previews and by what my friends say about it after they've seen it. But most comedies are a given that I'm going because I love them. I can definately see how PG-13 are the most watched. They have a lot of variety and people look forward to seeing what they producers are going to put in the movie. Great post!

    ReplyDelete